Skip to content

Province House to remain closed as investigation continues into protest disruption

Province House remains closed to the public following last week’s disruption during a budget vote, with no clear timeline for reopening.

Speaker Danielle Barkhouse says the legislature will not reopen until those involved in the incident have been identified and appropriate action is taken.

Protesters in the public gallery interrupted proceedings late March 24, breaking into song and later escalating into jeering as MLAs attempted to pass the provincial budget. The sitting was adjourned, and the budget was passed the following day with the building closed to the public.

Barkhouse says an investigation is ongoing to determine who was in the gallery and what role they played.

“We’re still investigating… we’re very close to getting everybody named,” she told reporters, noting there were a large number of people involved.

She says not everyone present will necessarily face the same consequences.

“There’s different levels,” Barkhouse said, adding those who left when asked may not face further action.

The Speaker also confirmed security changes are being planned before the legislature reopens. That includes adding personnel and upgrading technology used to track who enters the building.

“We’re making our way there and hopefully soon we can go back to normal,” she said.

Barkhouse says bans will be applied selectively once the investigation is complete, but could not say how many people may be affected.

The legislature has been closed to the public since March 25.

  • Evan Taylor is a 2018 graduate of the journalism program at Fanshawe College. He is based in Bridgewater and covers stories across the South Shore and Nova Scotia. Contact Evan at taylore@radioabl.ca.

    View all posts

Do you have a news tip?

Submit to NSNews@radioabl.ca.

loader-image
Bridgewater, CA
1:15 pm, May 21, 2026
weather icon 16°C | °F
L: 16° H: 16°
overcast clouds

What’s Trending